Mounting the steam engines, using
sprockets and chains to drive the
Chassis/Body was a broken Hasbro R2D2 Interactive Droid,
won from ebay for cheap, no one wanted a broken droid? Luckily it was
electronics and not the mechanics that had issues. I didn't need all
electronics, and only needed the body and gearboxes.
I stripped out all of the guts out of R2.... yes it was disturbing.
I kept the gearbox and the body shell and discarded the rest. The electric motors was removed, and in replaced with a shaft, with sprockets attached on the outside. The duel steam engines were then attached, and powers the sprockets via chains.
Strengthening the frame, and adding
Heat proofing the body, with sheet
metal and fiberglass insulation
|I was able to use an old
Cheddar Boiler, which was slim enough to fit inside the body, with just
enough room for insulation. I used sheet metal and fiberglass
toline the inside of the main body, to prevent the plastic body from
melting from the heat. I used two Wilesco marine engines, and split the
steam for each engine using heat resistant silicone tubing.
The steam pressure needs to be built up around 20 psi for a pretty short run. The gas fired flue boiler simply can not keep up with the thirsty demands of the two engines.
Gearing is very low, and R2S2 runs at a snail crawl.... However, R2S2 is still holds the record for the fastest steam powered R2 in any galaxy.
Functional R/C steam R2
Wood Lagged Cylinders
was very happy with R2, even with the limited performance, but I wanted
a bit more of a steampunk look
I wood lagged the steam engine cylinders, applied brass, wood and leather decals. The boiler pressure gauge also fit through a hole in the head. The sight glass and blow down valve is visible though the right body panel.
New color scheme, brass, wood, black leather for more
of an old victorian look and feel
The boiler pressure gauge